Apple pickers are a pivotal part of the agricultural sector in Canada, especially during the harvest season. This position involves picking apples from orchards, ensuring they are of good quality, and performing other related duties, often under various weather conditions. Employers in Canada sometimes offer visa sponsorship to attract foreign workers to assist during peak seasons.
Job Details :
- Employer Name: Thwaites Farms Ltd.
- Position: Agritulture Jobs
- No. of vacancies: 28
- Salary: CAD 20 – CAD 50 Per Hour
- Employment type: Permanent employment, Full time
- Location: Edmonton, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- Picking apples following specified guidelines.
- Sorting and packing apples based on size and quality.
- Operating machinery and equipment, if trained.
- Ensuring the cleanliness and tidiness of the working area.
- Adhering to all safety protocols and wearing appropriate gear.
- Assisting with other farm activities as required.
Qualification & Experience:
- Educational Qualification: Generally, no formal education is required.
- Experience: No specific experience is required, but previous farm work can be advantageous.
- Skills: Physical fitness, attention to detail, and the ability to follow instructions.
- Physical strength and stamina to perform repetitive tasks.
- Willingness to work outdoors in varied weather conditions.
- Adherence to all safety and procedural guidelines.
- Outdoor work in apple orchards.
- Varied weather conditions and potentially long hours, especially in peak seasons.
- Physically demanding tasks, including lifting, bending, and being on your feet for extended periods.
- Competitive hourly wages, often above the minimum wage.
- Potential for overtime pay during peak season.
- Experience working in the beautiful Canadian outdoors.
- Potential for continued seasonal employment in subsequent years.
For foreign workers, the employer might offer a visa sponsorship through programs like the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) or the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP). This generally involves the employer conducting a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and proving that there is a need for foreign workers.
How to Apply:
- Search for Jobs: Identify apple orchards and farms hiring in Canada through online job portals, agricultural websites, or official government portals.
- Application Submission: Submit an application online or via email, providing all required documentation and showcasing any relevant experience.
- Interview: If shortlisted, attend an interview – this could be done virtually for international candidates.
- Visa Application: Upon receiving a job offer, proceed with the visa application process, ensuring to submit all required documents.
Apple picking in Canada can be a rewarding seasonal job that provides a unique international work experience. Ensure to verify all job offers and visa details through the official Canadian immigration website or authorized immigration consultants to avoid scams and ensure accurate, up-to-date information.